Friday, January 7, 2011

Oh no you didn't!

Okay this my story & I'm sticking to it. We arrived in Cairo two days early because that's the dates when Continental said we could use our points to upgrade. It's been great to have two extra days to relax, adjust to a new time zone, & get over jet-lag.  Today we scheduled massages. Since oil was rubbed into my scalp, I decided to get a wash & blow dry for my hair. 


This is rich...you're gonna love this...two strange events happened to me. First, the person who washed my hair was a twelve year-old-boy. Hmmm...a twelve year-old boy washing my hair... creepy, different, interesting...maybe all three. I vote creepy. I'm thinking why aren't you in school; he's probably thinking why do I always get the old American ladies heads to wash?!


Now the entire place is full of women clicking away in their native tongues. They're giving minute details about their hair, how to wash, how to style, and waving their hands dramatically but EVERY hair stylists is a man! Now, at home, the beauty salon is a woman's haven with only a few men. I'm in a country where our driver told me there are separate subway tunnels for men & women; because in their country it's not so common to have men and women so close together. But every woman in this place is having a man run his fingers through her hair, and I have a pre-pubescent boy washing my hair!


The second bizarre thing...the lady next to me, getting massive hair weaves installed on her head, pulls out a cigarette and starts smoking two feet from me! REALLY?...REALLY! I just got a boy-washing & you're going to stink it up w/stale cig smoke...REALLY?!?! I look at my 19 year-old man/child stylist & pointed at cig lady and said," REALLY!" Aerosols hairsprays, chemical straighteners, clean hair, not to mention 'her, I'm sure several hundreds of dollar's, hair weave', and she's smoking?! My stylist started to look very nervous, probably because he had no clue what I was saying. Hmmm, how do say, "Do I need to open a can West Texas whoop ass?!" Sorry, did I just say whoop ass?  That's as bad as smoking in a hair salon!
Oh no you didn't!
That's my adventure for the day! Tomorrow the PYRAMIDS!! 
Melissa   Jan. 7, 2011 7:34 pm





No comments:

Post a Comment