Monday, January 17, 2011

I have not told half of what I saw. Marco Polo's final words

More thoughts, pictures, and experiences in Egypt.


Highlights-The Pyramids, Cairo, Nile River, King Tut's Tomb, Abu Simbel, spice stall, Old Cairo-Khan El-Khalili. I've described the pyramids, the camel ride experience and the Cairo Museum, so let me give you a couple of sentences on the last three spots.


On Friday, Jan 14 we flew to Abu Simbel. Two temples built by Ramses II, Temple Ra-Harakhte and the Temple of Hathor, dedicated to his beloved wife Queen Nefertari. The temples were moved after the Aswan High Dam project began. During four years the entire site was cut into large blocks (averaging 20 tons), dismantled, and moved under the direction of UNESCO to a new location 213 feet higher. It was one of the greatest archaeological saves and engineering feats in history at a cost of $40 million in1968. After seeing the pyramids, several temples, and statues, this site made my jaw drop. It is simply a grand site.






Our Egyptologist took us to a spice stall in a local bazaar in Aswan. I kept thinking to myself, what the heck, I can get cumin at Albertsons. Every one else was really excited to go. I went because I didn't want to miss anything, so off we went. The entire spice stall was maybe 250 sq. feet on a generous day but I was completely enthralled! It was a full sensory overload.


The cities in Egypt come alive at night. They are a nocturnal people. Dinner is around 10:00 pm, most markets and cinemas stay open all night, and don't expect the city to awaken until "noonish". The bazaar was alive with the sounds, sights, smells, and hum of the city. FYI these bazaars are all outside. Commerce at its finest. The market had friendly arguments of haggling, children skipping, women shopping, children eating ice-cream, men getting haircuts, sewing, and teens looking for something to do. I so loved the sights, sounds, and smells of the markets. The daily lives of the Egyptians are just like you and me...living, loving, working, and playing. So, jump right in & enjoy the spice stall.





Ladies, add some of this to your man's coffee & thank me later...

The Spice King!

Melissa  Jan. 17   1:16 pm


 

No comments:

Post a Comment